Monday, February 25, 2008

Bags and Boxes, Oh My!



As promised yesterday - here are a few bags and boxes I have made.

Can you believe that this bag is only 3 3/4" x 2 5/8" x 1 1/2"? Doesn't it look just like an LL bean bag?? I made this cute little thing for the Dare To Get Dirty challenges held a while back on SCS.

The challenge was to make a box container. I got the pattern out of a book called Paper for All Seasons by Sandra Lounsbury Foose - Watson-Guptill Publications http://www.watsonguptill.com/. I had taken the day off to clean my stamping room and came upon this book and took a glance through it and Eureka - when I saw this I knew that I would make if for the Inside the Box challenge!!

I bought the book several years ago and forget where - but you can find it on Amazon.com for under $10.00 used. It is full of all kinds of neat paper things such as this beach tote.

I used Ballet Blue and Naturals Ivory paper. You need some fast drying glue like Scotch Quick-Dry Adhesive (available at Michaels) and some clothespins to hold things together as they are drying. There are quite a few steps to it - but if you take your time - it's not difficult and the instructions are very clear.





I made these cute little pies from a Pillsbury Recipe found here: I found this link to the recipe on Nicole's blog at Papertrey.

I made these to give to family on Christmas day to take home to enjoy another day. I used my Papertrey set - My Punny Valentine for the labels - and the colors indicate the type of pie - red/apple, blue/blueberry, saffron/apple. I sponged the edges with so saffron ink.

I bought the flat bottom bags from Clearbags.com (they have bags for everything - I buy all my card envelopes from them too - the more you buy the cheaper they are) I just love these little single serving pies and they fit perfectly into these cute bags.

I got the silverfoil cups at Stop and Shop in the housewares aisle where there are other kinds of aluminum pans etc. but they have not had them since - but I found them on line here.


I made this one sheet box for one of the May 2007 VSN challenges on Split coast. We had to use a nautical theme.


You can find Beate's tutorial on SCS for this little box here:

Stamps: wood grain bg - All Night Media, Journey - Limited Edition RS, Freedom Ring - My Sentiments Exactly, Sailboat - unknown
Paper: Creamy Caramel, So Saffron
Ink: basic brown
Accessories: flag sticker, tooth pick, grosgrain stitched ribbon true thyme - SU, dimensional adhesives, circle punch, scalloped oval punch, torn edge scissors, one sheet box pattern



I made this cute little Halloween themed box for another challenge in the Sept 2007 VSN on Split coast - (See how much we learn doing the Virtual Stamping Nights!)

Here is a tutorial on how to make this box from Amy Rysavy.
I tied a really neat Halloween colors fiber through holes on the sides for the handle. This is such a cute box and so easy to make! I'm sure to be making more of these!

Stamps: Web - Northwoods Rubber Stamps, Spider - Stamp of Excellence, Bat - Michaels $1, Splatter - Hampton Arts, Visit the Web - Penny Black
Paper: Vintage Violet
Ink: Vintage Violet, Craft White
Accessories: Sponge, Fibers, foam adhesive, double sided tape, tacky tape



I made this box for a try a New Technique challenge on SCS to make a peek a boo box.
Here is Qbee's great template:
I used a DP for the box and punched some circles to decorate it. I stamped the butterfly from Papertey set Butterfly Kisses on vellum cut it out and folded the wings up for the 3 D effect on the top of the box.
Inside I attached a circle and stamped the sentiment from Papertrey Faux Fibbon set on vellum. I tied a knot in the middle of the ribbon and attached it around the sides of the box. I had a little trouble getting a clean slice for the tab to go into. I didn't put anything in my boxes yet - but will probably put some kind of yummy candy for the recipient!
This is a terrific little pattern - I'll definately be making more of these for many different occasions!
Stamps: Butterfly kisses & Faux Ribbon : Papertrey
Paper: Cameo Coral, Gable green, DP- Bookshelf: American Crafts
Ink: Taken with teal, Noir black: Palette
Accessories: dimensionals, nestabilities, acetate, circle punch, super sticky tape, SU markers, polkadot grosgrain ribbon, Oval punch



This is a Jenn Box (designed by Jenn Balcer) that I made for another SCS challenge.
Here is the tutorial
I love boxes of all kinds so was excited to see this challenge! This is so cute and easy to make!
I used a piece of heavy DP instead of cardstock. I punched the flap with the corner rounder with the guide removed - then punched a piece of white with my lacy corner punch in the same fashion - then punched another corner rounder piece in celery and layered the edges.
I stamped the flower with blue craft ink on the back of the DP which is brown - then colored the petals with white gel pen.
The leaves are real fossil leaves - sort of fragile but I thought they looked good here. I got this neat Bakers Twine by Martha Stewart at Michaels - this is 3 colors tied together - Green - Green and white - Black and white - I thought it would be fun to use instead of the usual ribbons.

Stamps: Flower & Sentiment - Hero Arts
Paper: White, certainly celery, DP- Bohemia: My Minds Eye
Ink: Certainly Celery, Bashful Blue Craft
Accessories: dimensionals, Bakers Twine: Martha Stewart, white gel pen, corner rounder, lace corner punch, sponge, 1/8 hole punch, fossil leaves - Natures Hand Made Papers



Last up for tonight! I made these bags for the Christmas treats I make for my sister, nieces and son every year. This year I filled these with packages of homemade fudge, oatmeal raisin cookies and vanilla rum bundtlette cakes - Yum!! The bags are from clearbags.com and are lined with plastic to protect from any leakage. The label stamps are from Papertrey Holiday Treats set.

Stamps: Papertrey: holiday treats
Paper: Kraft, white
Ink: real red, sahara sand, white craft
Accessories: ribbon, ticket corner punch, slot punch, lined bag
Well - I hope you have enjoyed seeing my bags and boxes and that they inspire you to make a few for the celebrations in your life!
I'd love to hear what you think! Please post a comment by clicking below!
Thanks for stopping by tonight!!

5 comments:

Linsey R said...

Okay, I already knew you were a top notch stamper and I've seen these projects at scs, but seeing them all together just magnifies their awesomeness (is that a word?)...well, it is now, lol! Now we can add *box ROCKstar* to that as well! I can hardly believe that tote is paper, it looks so much like an ll bean tote (I got my Mom this same colored one from Oprah's online store, which is by ll bean) and it is a perfect little *mini-me* match! I could never do anything this well, I am just happy to admire your fabulous work..have I mentioned how thrilled I am that you have a blog?! You are so inspiring, Julia! ~Hugs~

Gwen said...

wow, wow, wow!!! I just love this kind of stuff...so glad I came to check out your blogg!!! I WILL be back!!!

Me, My Stamps and I said...

WOW !!!!!very cooooool projects you did here !!!!!!
i think that's a word I wanted to use. you are the awesome-nest !!!!!
tfs,
chat

Sunshine said...

Julia,Julia, how cute is this tote!! Hard to believe it is made of paper and not the canvas it looks like. Haven't had time to look thru lately, but just had to take a peek at your site....later, Phyllis

Debbie Corbari said...

OK...I am ROTFLMAO now! So I popped on your blog to check in on you and read about the Stamping Around in VT and I saw the post underneath that one that said "Notes for an engineer" which totally caught my eye b/c Chris (dh) is an engineer. Your "you might also like" links on the bottom of THAT post showed this LLBean bag...which, BTW, I have the actual BAG and don't know what to do with it...so I was like...COOL I have to see what this crafting genius did with her LL Bean bag...and it turns out itn is made out of PAPER! You had me fooled BIG TIME! I thought it was the actual bag!!! And now you have a glimpse into my thought process...scary isn't it?! LOL!