Thursday, February 14, 2008

Smocked Dress Friends

Todays challenge over at Split Coast was to use Fashion as your inspiration for your card. I decided to use this great smocked dresses on the line stamp from Serendipity Stamps. I bought this stamp when I first started stamping cards about 5 years ago. I bought it because it reminded me of when my sister and I were growing up and our Aunt Helen made us smocked dresses every year. Aunt Helen never married and lived near us so we were like her children. Our cousins lived out of state so we got most of her attention accept when she traveled to visit them. So this is a nostalgia card for me!

I first stamped the dresses on the natural panel, then I stamped it again on 3 different designer papers all in the river rock shade. I cut out each dress, colored the clothespins with a brown marker, and attached the dresses to the natural panel over the stamping using dimensionals. I just got my Scor-Pal this week so I wanted to try that out. I scored a line on each side, intersecting at the corners. It really does work well. You just want to remember to have the card stock face down when you score so that it 'bumps' out in the front (ask me how I figured that out - there is one natural panel in my trash right now!). I used my piercer, graph and pad to pierce lines inside the scored lines all around. Then I sponged all around the edges and the stamping using River Rock ink. The sentiment circle is made with 2 stamps from PapertreyInk - the circle from Borders and Corners set and the sentiment from Faux Ribbon. I die cut it with an oval scalloped nestability and mounted it with dimensionals. I added a knot of ribbon and a glass bauble for a little interest.

So there's my 'old' fashion card for today's challenge - let me know what you think by clicking Comments below!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful card! Love your blog too! I've added you to my list of favorites!

Brenda H. said...

Gorgeous card...'love it!!
~Brenda

Anonymous said...

OH Julia!! I'm so glad I checked your blog - I missed this in the gallery!! What a sweet sweet card!!Of course, I am only 29 ( LOL) but I too remember these darling smocked dresses that my grandma made me what I was a little girl!! Beautiful card - and what a wonderful trip down memory lane!

Great colours too - I would never have thought to use!!

Deborah aka debzi333 on SCS

LeAnne said...

Oh this is beautiful....so precious. What a great job you did on this challenge!!