Monday, April 21, 2008

Graduate in My Pocket and Poor Richard

I was straightening up a book shelf today and came upon a copy of Poor Richard's Almanac - the famous Morsels of Wisdom book written by Ben Franklin. I bought it on a trip to Williamsburg, VA several years ago at the printing press there. So I thought I would share some of his wit and wisdom with you! You'll find todays thought at the end of my post.

Today's challenge on Splitcoast was to make a Gift Card Holder. This one is a little different design in that there is a front and back cover to the card and then there is the piece in the middle where you slip the gift card in.
I made mine thinking it's a graduation card but it actually could be given to someone for any achievement. I used my new Papertrey Summer Sunrise Card Stock and twill that just came today. All the stamps are PTI also. The stars were cut with Nestability dies. I stamped 'a gift for you' on the placebo gift card that would be replaced with the actual card you were giving the person!

You can see several tutorials for this type of card in the challenge forum but basically the card is 11 x 4 1/4 and you score 3 inches in from each end and at 5 1/2 inches then fold so the 2 center pieces come together. You seal 3 edges of the center piece (the back where the card folds and the top and bottom edges) using red super tacky tape to be sure the card won't slip out. You want to use thin tape or the seal will be too wide and the card won't slip into the slot.

The opening for the gift card is punched with the word punch (keep moving the punch over to make it wide enough - measure an actual card you would put in it) and the small oval punch in the center.
Here is a closer view of the inside
I'm also submitting this card to this months Caardvarks challenge - Black/White + one Where the challenge is to make a card using black, white and one other color. They have a great prize for the winner - so be sure to check it out!

So here's todays thought from Ben Franklin: "Quarrels never could last long, if on one side only lay the wrong."

Thanks so much for hopping over here today! I'm going to be posting a tutorial for the origami butterfly so be sure to check back!

Stamps: Paper Trey Ink Mixed Messages, It's a Celebration, Simple Little Things
Paper: basic black, Paper Trey Ink : white & Summer Sunrise
Ink: Pitch Black Adirondack, Color Box Gold
Accessories: Star nestabilities, dimensionals, ribbon: Summer Sunrise Twill PTI, star brads
Techniques: dry embossing

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is fabulous ... love the gender neutral color and the repeating stars ... perfect to have in your stash.

Maria Matter said...

Julia, Love this card, I commented on it over at SCS. When I saw your gallery and all your beautiful cards I just had to check out your blog. You're quite talented.....thanks for sharing your creations!

Deb Wood said...

This is fabulous, love the colrs and the stars. Great how you have the little opening for a gift card or whatever!! Good Luck!!

Anonymous said...

I have a college graduation coming up in a few weeks. Now I have a great inspiration piece! Love the design! Super job.

Beverly said...

Oh goodie!!! I am so glad you are going to do a tutorial on that.. yipee.. love your cards today... you are soo talented! And, I liked the quote from Ben.. I had to stop and think about it for a minute before it made sense to me.. hhhmm....

Anonymous said...

What a cute project!! Totally love it!! TFS! :)

dpkennedy said...

Great card Julia! I love the masculine feel to it and the star looks great! I made one of these once...great idea, I should remember to do it more often!

Amy Sheffer said...

This turned out great! I love the color combo with the stars - perfect!