Wednesday, April 30, 2008

A Tall Mother Fish

We had so much rain in the last 2 days that I sort of feel like a fish! But I used this title to describe my tall card that I made for today's sketch challenge on SCS.



As per the challenge instructions - the card is a 9 1/4" x 8" piece of white PapertreyInk cardstock that I scored at 4" and folded in half. This will fit into a regular business size envelope so does not require extra postage. Then I cut off a 3/4" piece from the right hand side of the front of the card so you can see the inside of the card there. The instructions were to score it at 3/4" and fold it under - but I decided to just cut it off so it wasn't bulky.

Then I cut 2 ovals with my nestabilities and dry embossed them. I stamped my 2 fish on the white oval using Summer Sunrise ink from Papertrey. Then I masked the bigger fish by stamping it on a piece of paper, cutting it out and laying it over the stamped image on the oval. I stamped the sea grass on the oval using Desert Sand ink from Close to My Heart. When I removed the mask - it looked like the grass was behind the fish.

Next I stamped the bubbles with Aqua Mist ink by Papertrey, and finally the sentiment in Onyx Black by Versafine. All of the stamps are from the new PapertreyInk Set called Pond Life. I attached the white oval to the Aqua mist scalloped oval.

For the ribbon - I first punched a slit on the left side of the ovals then cut a piece of ribbon 19" long. I put the ribbon behind the DP on the left - came up on the right side and brought it through the slit - then I attached the paper to the card and the oval to the paper checking my placement so that the oval extended over the cut off front but not past the back edge. And finally I tied the bow. I attached 4 clear dew drops - 2 on the top left and 2 on the bottom right.

I computer generated a sentiment that I found on a verse web site and attached that and a strip of DP to the inside. You can see a close up below.


This card also covers the Double Dare Challenge I do with some friends each week on Split Coast. Fran gave the challenge this week - to make a Mother's Day card with a bird or animal on it. I'm hoping fishies pass for animals!!!

Today's quote from Poor Richard's Almanac: "A good example is the best sermon."

Thank you so much for stopping by!


Stamps: Pond Life - Papertrey Ink

Paper: White, Aqua Mist, DP - all from Papertrey Ink

Ink: Onyx Black Versafine, Summer Sunrise & Aqua Mist - PTI, Desert Sand - CTMH

Supplies: nestability ovals, PTI Ribbon, slit punch, dew drops, dimensionals, glue dots

3 comments:

Linsey R said...

Julia, this is absolutely gorgeous! What beautiful shade of aqua, that ribbon is divine, omgosh! I love it! These fish are adorable and I love the colors you stamped in! What a marvelous card! Sorry for all your rain, hopefully it will bring May flowers very soon! hugs!

dpkennedy said...

I love this card! I love the long length and the little scene is so cute! I also love the way you tied the ribbon through the mounted image...fintastic! Get it? Ok, sorry, I couldn't help myself!

Pushpa Johnson said...

Oh this is so pretty! I love the masking you did!