Friday, September 25, 2009

A Chilling Color Resist!

My card today is for two challenges - the color challenge on Split Coast and the Doubledog Dare Challenge I do with some Split Coast Friends - last week Hostess Charlene asked us to use crayon resist on our card.

You can find the tutorial for crayon resist in the resources over at Split Coast here

First I stamped this great skull image from the Stampin Up set called From the Crypt with black ink on glossy white paper -I let it dry (actually hot gunned it dry!) - then colored the skull with a white crayon. Next I sponged over the image using bravo burgandy and so saffron inks. I wiped the image with a paper towel and it stayed white where the crayon had been colored. I apparently missed a few areas on the skull with my crayon and it got colored burgandy - but I like how that came out!

The framings are cut with the Labels 3 Nestabilities and the background spider web is a Cuttlebug Folder.

You can find the Doubledog Dare Challenges in the Split Coast forum here or on my sidebar.

Inside my card I stamped this very fun witch and BOO! from the Waltzingmouse Stamp set called Halloween Party.


Thank you so much for stopping by today!

I'm teaching a class over at The Papertree in Manchester, NH tomorrow morning so I've been busy preparing the materials for that. I always have such a great time there with all my stamping friends - and owner, Michelle, is just a blast to be around - not to mention how fun her store is - she's got all the new stamps and papers!! If you are ever in the Manchester, NH area - be sure to stop by there.

AND - I'll be revealing some exciting news I've been dying to tell you for a month or so coming up on my blog on Tuesday 9/29 so be sure to come by for that!!
Stamps: SU: From the Crypt
Paper: Bravo burgandy, Basic Black, Glossy Paper: SU, Summer Sunrise: PTI,
Ink: Bravo Burgandy, So Saffron: SU, Memento Tuxedo Black
Accessories: Sponge, foam dimensionals, labels 3 Nestabilities, Spider Web Cuttlebug Folder, white crayon

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Crikey!! lol it certainly packs a punch!!!! That's a serious piece of Art Julia!!

Beverly said...

amazing card Julia!! I just love it!

Donna Marie said...

Nothing else to say except.....Incredible!!!

Pat (mspfd) said...

Super striking and fun Halloween card!

~amy~ said...

wow julia...such a fabulously striking card!!!

Sharli Schaitberger said...

Julia, I LOVE how that came out! Here I was trying to figure out where you found this uber-kwel stamp and realized that it looks this way because of how you did the resist!!! My goodness, you are clever!

Ann Kranitz said...

Wow, this is elegant and creepy all at the same time!!! LOVE IT!!

Anonymous said...

Julia, thanks for a great class again at the tree..and the ships for the next class are great! And your stamps for the rummage sale at the Tree are great! Thanks for your patience with all of our questions. COnnie NH

Anonymous said...

Julia, this is just so wickedly awesome!! Love that image and the colors look fab!! HUGS

dpkennedy said...

Ooh! Wicked and gorgeous! I love it!

Lisa Foster said...

I have to say this is my FAVORITE piece you've done to date! Fabulous image and the way you brought the colors to life....wow...this is serious art, Girl! LOVE it!!
Hugs,
Lisa

Unknown said...

OHH this is so up my alley! I love the eerieness of this card!

Joan Ervin said...

This is such a gorgeous, Spooky card, Julia!!!! I racked my poor brain for days trying to figure out what to do for this challenge and along you come with this AWESOME design...I bow to your talents, gf!!!

Kim said...

This is fantastic! I love the crayon resist and I like that the skull has a little bit of burgundy on it.