Friday, September 2, 2016

This is the Day

So many wonderful monthly challenges have started with the beginning of September!  Today I'm joining in with Loll and Bonnie in their CAS Mix Up Challenge.
I decided to try marbling using the floating alcohol ink technique that Loll used - here's a video by Andy Skinner showing the process.
I used Adirondack Inks Sail Boat Blue and Butterscotch on Gloss Paper from Ranger for my background.
I embossed the stamped Psalm from Phrases and Praises set by PTI in black.
I added 3 Wood Veneer stars, adhered the panel to a slightly larger black card panel and adhered that to the white card base with foam dots so it pops up a bit.
I was happy to learn this new technique for marbling - but I found that many of the colors of Alcohol Inks that I have were too light when added to the water.  I tried card stock, glossy card and a manila tag - and the tag really took the watered ink the best - I may post another project using the tag soon!
You'll find the CAS Mix up Challenge here.

I'm also linking to:
marbling with alcohol inks is a new technique for me

this is the first time I've used this stamp set even though I purchased it several releases ago from PTI!


Stamps:  Phrases and Praises - PTI
Paper:  White, True Black - PTI, Gloss Paper - Ranger
Ink:  Versamark, Adirondack Alcohol Inks - Sail Boat Blue, Butterscotch
Accessories:  dish of water, wood veneer stars - American Crafts, Black Embossing Powder, heat tool.

8 comments:

Jane said...

Bet you're going to try that technique again - fabulous results! Thanks for playing at AAA Cards.

Bonnie said...

I love these soft colors, Julia! What a beautiful background for one of my favorite verses! Love the addition of the simple stars! Thanks so much for sharing this with us at CAS Mix Up!

OH Babs said...

Beautiful card and lovely soft colors.

nancy littrell said...

Thank you Julia for sharing your Floating Alcohol Ink Marbled card. Nice to know it worked on your manila tag...I think I will try it. I have tried on Yupo, Mixed Media and Rice paper. I liked the Yupo best, but liked the others also...just not as much of a marbled look, but nice backgrounds for my stash. Can't wait to see your tag card. So happy you joined us at CAS Mix Up. Hugs, nancy

Mona Pendleton said...

Beautiful card Julia! The background looks amazing! Hope you have a fun and safe weekend!

Darnell said...

I love the hues of your marbling first attempt, Julia! They are absolutely perfect for that particular bold sediment!! Thank you so much for playing in my NBUS Challenge #7! Hugs, Darnell

Moosisk said...

I love your card! I must try that technique myself. Thanks for the inspiration. :D

Loll said...

Hi Julia. Thanks so much for trying out a new technique to join in our challenge. The floating alcohol inks is so easy to do, and I love the marbled look. The colours you used for your card are soft and beautiful together and work so well at showing off that amazing verse. Love the added wooden starts, and that your main panel is offset to one side of the card. Everything works so perfectly together to create a gorgeous card. Thanks so much for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up! xx