Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Ice Cream Cone Nests - The Tutorial

As promised on my Easter post, here is a little tutorial on how I put my Easter Place Setting treats together -  I saw the idea on Pinterest.
Here are the supplies -  Ice Cream Cones, Rainbow Twizzlers Candy, Cadbury Mini Eggs
and Edible Grass (I found the grass at Rite Aid but also saw it at Target and Walmart)
I wasn't quite sure how to 'drill' the holes in each side of the cone for the handle without cracking the cone and then I had the bright idea to get out the spiked handles we use when we eat corn on the cob! First I pushed the spikes through, a bit down from the top as shown.  I turned the handle clockwise and it made a perfect circle!
 The circle needed to be wider to fit the Twizzler - so I turned the corn holder around and gently pushed it through the hole to the end of the corn handle.
And a perfect hole was created without cracking the cone!  Whoo hoo!!
I cut off a bit of each end of the Twizzler candy handle to make a point so it went through the hole easily.
 I stuck one end through each hole from the outside of the cone.
Then I cut some long pieces of the edible grass -  5" or so - and stuck them into the cone.
Then I added my treat -  in this case - Cadbury Easter Eggs - six of them fit.  The green edible grass is flavored with apple, the pink - cherry and the blue - blue raspberry.  It's made of potato starch.
These were so easy to put together once I figured out how to do the holes!
Cute, right??!!








7 comments:

Loll said...

So cute. Thanks for the tutorial. You did all the hard work of figuring out how to make these. :) xx

Sharli Schaitberger said...

OMGSH!!! These are so stinkin' cute and edible, too!! You are a genius!
Thank you!!!

Brenda Brown said...

Oh yes definitely cute and such a clever idea. I bet these went down a treat xxx

Bonnie said...

So cool!

Mona Pendleton said...

I hope you had a Happy Easter Julia! Your project is so fun and darling! Thanks for the inspiration!

Words and Pictures said...

Very clever! Thanks for sharing your tips on working with those fragile cones... the Easter baskets are just brilliant!
Alison x

Mary Marsh said...

what a cute project Julia-great place settings-I am sure it went over well with your guests